Driving is probably one of the most risky things one can do. A fact should be recognized that the driver is only one step close from becoming a safer, therefore probably more responsible motorist.
– The car must be checked: The important and critical parts of the car like brakes, tires, windscreen, wipers and lights must be checked. The maintenance tips must be referred for more advice.
– Concentration: There are a lot of happenings so one should concentrate. The driver should watch with ahead to spot any potential dangers and must be always be ready to react.
– Keep calm: The driver must not be prone to congestion. It is well accepted that a journey that used to take 20 minutes takes now half an hour, leaving more time is different.
– Don’t follow closely: Slow drivers are very irritating who take over lanes on motorways but intimidating them will also not work.
– Slow down: Everyone is in a hurry but speeding to reach the destination is not a good idea. Arriving late is better than not arriving at all.
– Weather conditions: One has to be aware of the weather conditions as it can change quickly. It doesn’t mean that if the roads were not icy at the start would mean that they are uncovered for miles.
– Never use a hand phone: Even if driver has got a hands-free system in the car, it is better not to use it while driving as they are a source of distraction. The driver can stop at hard shoulder to talk if it is necessary.
– Never drive when tired: The driver should stop and take a rest if he or she has a flagging condition. It is better to take a 20-minute nap and drink tea or coffee. It is not a good idea to open the windows or turning up the stereo as it won’t work.
– Never drink and drive. Drinking seriously affects the ability at the wheel which can be dangerous for other drivers.
– The label of any medicines which a driver is taking should be always read: One should never operate machinery if he is taking certain medicines; this of course includes driving a car.
– Emergency brakes: Many cars have a system of anti-lock brakes. For this, the pedal should be pressed hard as one can and the driver will still be able to steer. If there is no ABS, the pedal and brake should be pumped in a straight line.
– Try to stay calm if the brakes fail: The brake pedal can be pumped, the handbrake can be gradually applied and the gears can be used to slow down the car.
– If case of skidding: If the car starts to skid, the car should be steered in the direction that it is skidding in to counteract the movement.
About the Author