As recent as ten years ago – if you claimed a human brain rewired itself – you’d likely lose your position as a brain researcher. Not so today.
Nevertheless … the key is to use these new facts in ways that activate dormant circuits and trigger new neurons. How so?
If you were able to rewire your own brain to function better on a daily basis you’d likely rejuvenate areas such as learning leading and laughing. Right?
Good news is that we are getting weekly hints from brain research that will rejuvenate key areas of our brains to operate more effectively.
Here are 5 tips that emerge from the most recent facts about how to rewire your brain for practical benefits.
1. Use what you read as you read it. Hook any insights that stand out in memos, directions or reports … onto some improvement need in the job you’ll do today.
2. Create a simple diagram or sketch to rearrange one new fact into a doable project idea. Then use the illustration to propose that idea to your supervisor.
3. Revise one part of your workplace operations and teach the revision to another worker. Collaborate for an application that will benefit your firm.
4. Read one article from a journal or trade magazine on an unfamiliar topic. Translate the topic into a lunch time conversation … and draw in a fellow worker you respect – asking further questions to understand and share new points.
5. Gather a few key statistics that indicate one problem area where you work. First discuss the numbers with other interested people – and then suggest one way to use similar statistics for a practical plan to ratchet up the bottom line in your department.
What’s helped you take advantage of your brain’s amazing plasticity to rewire itself for a practical benefit?